26 July 2012

Maori People.


On my flight from China to Singapore, I was sitting behind the nicest family.  The teenaged son slept the whole time, but the mother chatted with me on occasion and smiled a lot.  I noticed that the father had very interesting markings in the center of his face, and his stature resembled a rugby player.  I didn't really pay much attention to it; his markings seemed family-oriented or tribal, that's all.  I figured they were probably Australian.  (I'm not sure why, it was just my gut feeling.)


When I got to Singapore and met my new friend Tanya, I asked her about the various families and tribes in Australia.  I mentioned the family from the plane and the father's face tattoo.  She knew exactly what I was talking about and said that they were Maori and from New Zealand.


Polynesians settled New Zealand in 1300 CE.  After several centuries in isolation, the Polynesian settlers developed a unique culture that became known as Maori:  incorporating their own language, mythology, distinctive crafts, and performing arts.  In the early 1900's, social upheaval, decades of conflict, and epidemics of introduced disease took a devastating toll on the Maori population, which went into dramatic decline.  However, there are more than 800,000 Maori living in New Zealand today.  I think it's absolutely fascinating that one of the Maori families was sitting in front of me on the plane . . . 


This reminds me:  when I worked field day, back in May, over at East Nashville's Lockeland Design Center Elementary School, each class within each grade represented a country.  One of the 4th grade classes represented New Zealand and did this amazing cheer before each event.  




I realize now that this was a Maori Haka cheer, a harmonious warrior dance.  Full circle learning.  Amazing.


Images found on the internet:  Blaine Harrington Photography (top) and Locums For A Small World Blog (bottom).  Video by Lindsey Bailey.

No comments:

Post a Comment