05 December 2010

The Passing of the Ha'mam.



One month and a few weeks after her 17th birthday, my cat Sam passed away.

She was suffering a bit, internally, battling old age and then mysteriously stopped eating--1 day before I was going to move her out to California. I took her to the vet and he told me that her kidneys were failing her very quickly and he wasn't quite sure how she had managed this long. At the most she had a couple of days to live.

My dad and I made the very hard decision to put her to sleep. The worst thing to ever have to do is to look into the face of your pet and try to make this decision. She was one of my best friends. We did everything together. She moved to all of the apartments that I have lived in since leaving home. She was around during all of my years of schooling: North Texas, UT, and MICA. She went to the studio with me in Tennessee and Wisconsin, where I taught classes for Blueraku Studios. And, she has met all of my friends and everyone I have ever dated.

However, Sam was not a nice cat. She hissed and spit at just about everyone or anything that moved within a mile radius of her. And, she went out scratching and biting as much as the day she came into my life.

She was a tough old broad and I will miss her greatly.

The picture above was taken the day before she died, outside, in my Dad's front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment