27 August 2011

I want my MTV.

I have a slight addiction to watching music videos. It started when I was 7 or 8 years old.

I would sit for hours watching MTV. At friend's houses, mind-you, as my parents refused to get cable: they were worried I might watch too much music television, interfering with my homework. Yes, well . . .


I'm almost positive that my infatuation with the visualization of music came when I saw Annie Lennox perform Sweet Dreams as half of the Eurythmics on the Grammys. (I'm watching it again now, and still I am so mesmerized!!) I remember Herbie Hancock, too, with his crazy kicking robotic legs. My dad was trying out the old VHS to see if we could--in fact--record things. And, it worked!!

So, I would sit in front of our television and fast-forward/rewind to all of the performances. Watching and re-watching the same things for hours. I did this with the American Music Awards and the Grammy's every year . . . When I got older, I turned to watching the Video Music Awards (the best show being when Arsenio Hall hosted, and Bel Biv DeVoe performed--I was in 10th grade, and watched it at my friend Katherine's house).


I mention all of this because I believe my obsession with these live performances is ultimately what peaked my interest in music videos.

Our family would go to my grandparent's house in Mineral Wells, Texas and I would go into the middle bedroom, close the door, and watch videos. Adam Curry and Martha Quinn directed my viewing. (I think about this now in horror, knowing that I could have been spending quality time with my grandparents.) On ski trips with my parents and family friends, I would be dressed in ski clothes--at least 6 layers--parked in front of the television begging for one more video before hitting the slopes. I believe it was in 8th grade that I moved all of the furniture in our den and supervised my friends as we recreated a New Kids On The Block video.

So when YouTube came around, everything was free and it was GLORIOUS!! I could watch whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. And, it's gotten pretty nuts . . . I only watch music videos and the occasional dance video. I don't watch cats doing things or babies or whatever else.

Last year during graduate school, stress would hit and I would calm myself by watching Beyonce, Diddy, Rihanna, New Boyz, Madonna, Annie Lennox, Lady Gaga, and Jay-Z; repeatedly, sometimes the same video back-to-back.

It's kind of weird: I go through phases. Right now? I'm totally into Chris Brown. And, morally, I'm not okay with that. But, man is he a great dancer. So, I indulge. I've also been watching a lot of Kreayshawn, out of sheer curiosity. I still watch Beyonce on occasion, but her most recent effort includes crying . . . And, I'm more of a dance girl. Give me lots of movement, bright colors, and big eventful happenings!! I want to see fireworks!!

My question is: where does this come from? The repeats, the studying, the want to memorize . . . Are some of us just attracted to certain things more than others? Or is it because I'm an artist and the visuality of a music video interests me? I have no idea.

Will this ever end? Highly doubtful.

And so I continue on . . . Search. Watch. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment