21 September 2009

Oatmeal Cookies: Steel-Cut-Style.

Can oatmeal cookies be made with organic steel cut oats?

There are at least two things I have learned from being an artist:
1. Everything is considered research: magazine reading, watching television, teaching, and cooking.
2. Experimentation is absolutely necessary.

So, in an effort to combine the two, this evening I made cookies.


Initially when I got home, I was exhausted. Teetering between taking a quick nap or just pushing through the tired, I decided to push through by making oatmeal cookies. Only I didn’t have any rolled oats, only the steel cut variety. What to do?

Make lemonade from lemons.

Here's the recipe:

OATMEAL COOKIES, using steel cut Irish oats
3/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups steel cut Irish oats


In a fabulous big bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.

Drop rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 – 12 minutes, until edges are golden brown.


I just pulled the cookies out of the oven and they look delish!

Enjoy! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment