Our first project was a rainbow people project. With the help of the two teaching assistants, we traced each student on giant construction paper. Each week, we would learn about a new and different color, using different materials to decorate our peoples. The students love seeing their bodies drawn out and as large as they are.
I had them color and paint backpacks when they were learning about school in their homeroom, they colored big turkeys for Thanksgiving, stamped pumpkins like Kusama for Halloween, and overlapped drawings of their bodies to see what that would look like.
My favorite project with these young artists was when they painted our school. I drew out a rough outline of our school on cardstock, made copies, and each student painted their own version of our school. They turned out beautifully! So colorful and fun! I told the school they should use them for their holiday cards.
Up next, the students are working on pig paintings for Chinese New Year, and then we start on a big culture unit where we will be dying rice and learning about rangoli!
One of my favorite projects we did from this past semester are the giant leaves. During autumn, when the leaves were changing and falling to the ground, I drew and cut out 3 huge leaves. I drew patterns into the leaves and had the students watercolor them. After that, I outlined everything with Chinese calligraphy ink. They turned out fantastic and ended up being a big part of the lobby when we hung things up for Parents' Day.
One of my most favorite projects that I did with both classes, PYP K1 and K2, were these little popsicle stick wall hangings. I got the idea off of a New Jersey art teacher's IG account. She used the wider sticks, but all I had were the skinny ones. So I had the students use a black piece of cardstock as a backing. They embellished the sticks with designs they cut out from foam paper, and they made tassels for the bottom and finger woven handles for the top.
I pre-cut all of the wooden piece and the felt stars. But they did the rest!
This was a direct response to their homeroom unit about healthy bodies that they were studying. You can see the Central Idea and Lines of Inquiry below.
I told them their drawing could be a full body or a half. But they had to think about their character and costuming and how their superhero would make a positive difference in peoples' lives. Olaf even made his superhero into a cat, because he was inspired by my cat . . .
After all of the parts and pieces were complete, we layered everything together. Buildings and clouds glued down to the blue paper, then we raised the superheroes up a bit with cardboard before glueing them down on top of everything. I really like how these turned out. Their teacher still has them hanging up in her classroom, and the students made these like a million years ago in September!
They have exams next week. So I won't see these kids again until after our Chinese New Year break, which is three weeks long . . . But I can't wait to see what they will do with our next project!!! I've got something sculptural up my sleeve . . . More soon!