Since the theme was about volunteerism, the students came up with the idea to turn that theme into "helping hands". So we decided to make giant cardboard hands in all different formations. Hands somehow led us to "volunteers rock", then the kids would dress up as "rockers", and so forth and so on . . .
So since we were all going to be "rockers" for the parade, we decided to turn a bunch of boxes into speakers. And while we were on the float, going down the street, we played Poison and Whitesnake and Mötley Crüe as loud as we could! It was oddly fun and reminded me of my high school days.
The trailer was borrowed and smaller than I expected. But we made it work! Using plastic fencing and zip ties, we covered the entire thing in strips of fabric. At various times while we were working on it, we would alternate between calling it a unicorn chariot and the trash trailer. I enjoyed both perspectives!
We were in two parades, so this is a combination of pics from both days. One of the parades was just for the younger aged community members. So lots of preschools and organizations that cater to junior kindergarten kiddos.
The next day was the BIG parade. It involved organizations from all over the city. All ages and all kinds! It was incredibly crowded and there was even a grandstand where we were announced and VIP's cheered us!
She said yes. And when she said yes, I thought: this could be a really great lesson on presentation and learning about design through preliminary drawings and customer need. I had the students work in groups and draw design ideas based on the following words: discovery, imagination, and exploration.
So in late January, when Miss Annie and I reconnected about this idea, I invited her out to the school to hear the student groups present their ideas to her. She gave them constructive feedback and told them what she was looking for . . .
Twice she came to school, both time listening to each class and giving feedback. We were so incredibly thankful for her time!!
(The Bookshelf is a very busy store!! 😱)
After lots of discussion with the homeroom teachers, I decided to combine the students' drawings into one idea. I had the groups pick out two parts of their drawings that they wanted to keep. Then, we set out to make bigger versions of those chosen ideas.
We installed one window one week, and the next window the following week. Whats really exciting is that the work stayed up for a whole month, and was featured during Children's Book Week and Indie Bookstore Weekend. Yeeehawww!
What surprised me was how tiny the window storefront actually was . . . When I told the kids that we needed to work LARGE, I probably should've said we need to work medium. I had no trouble filling up the windows, as you can see. And I even used some books and toys from the shop to accent the artwork, which I loved!
I just love cardboard, y'all. If my students and I could make EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET out of cardboard, I would make it happen. I totally would!