24 November 2017

Traveling Teacher: A Conversation with Doreenda Lumiqued . . .


It is rare to find people that share my love for unicorn culture. But in Qatar, I met Doreenda. She was teaching kindergarten and I was teaching art. And, although we never really hung out outside of school, I knew we would be in contact for life. Every once in again, she'll tag me on Instagram under something unicorn-y or send me something on Facebook messenger. And, I'll do the same. I even started making her a unicorn headband to wear around. It's actually finished now, but I haven't sent it to her yet. I think everyone and their mother knows that my life has been a bit hectic with the PhD situation. *But it's coming, Doreenda! And I expect pictures!!*


During the year that we were teaching together in Qatar, I was working on my thesis project for my MFA in Baltimore. And, taking notice of Doreenda's personality and adventurous spirit, I asked her to participate in some of the photoshoots.  My favorite was the image below, where I sort of arranged a wonderfully fun tea party for Doreenda and Shannon involving balloons, donuts, and lively spirits. We spent a good five hours together dressing up and playing with materials. I can't remember how long it took to braid Shannon's hair, but it was totally worth it!


It was the image below that I took of Doreenda that ended up being the signature image of my thesis. Somehow with the way that she and I collaborated with the fabrics and designed the silhouette, it turned into this sort of all-encompassing photograph. It felt like it hinted at something tribal, although there was nothing tribal about it, and it sort of felt like an apparition, although it is clearly a physical being. We were able to cover her entire body with only her hand peeking out, holding a maraca. Going into this photograph, my only goal was to use a hula hoop. But it turned into so much more! 


Doreenda has lived a very fascinating life so far. Her Instagram feed is part of the reason I have had such a hard time readjusting to coming back to the United States. Her Instagram feed is also what excites me about leaving the States again . . . She is a lovely and warm person, with a gracious heart and giant smile. She is an excellent teacher. And, although she doesn't teach art (which is my usual focus), I think she lives a very creative life, one filled with art and travel and excitement! So without further ado, I give you Doreenda Lumiqued in her own words.


What is your name and where do you teach? What do you teach? How long have you been teaching? Have you taught the same subjects throughout the entire time that you have been teaching?

Hello. :) My name is Doreenda Lumiqued and I am currently teaching multiple subjects to fifth graders at the International School of Latvia. This will be my seventh year teaching. Previously, I’ve taught third grade and kindergarten--please see a portrait of me below drawn by Mary, age 5. 


Where are you from? Where did you do your teacher training? Why did you decide to become a teacher? Is anyone else in your family a teacher? 

My family is originally from the Philippines. We’ve lived in Australia for a bit, too, but I grew up in the U.S., specifically in a small town called La Verne in California. 

I didn’t decide to become a teacher until my last year at the University of California, Irvine. I was on my way to becoming a child psychologist. In my last round of fieldwork, I was placed in Verano Preschool where I assisted the teachers there with the everyday ins and outs of teaching. It was there that my path slightly skewed. I knew I always wanted to work with children, but it was at that time and that place I discovered I wanted to work with them in a different capacity. 

It was only after I graduated with my Masters in Education that I realized that I’d come from a long history of educators. My grandpa, who unfortunately I’d never met, was a school principal in his day and my grandma’s sisters were all teachers. So I suppose the apple really doesn’t fall too far from the tree. 



I met you when I was working for a short time in Qatar. Have you always taught overseas? What has been your favorite post, and why? What was your most challenging post, and why? 

This is my seventh year teaching and my seventh year teaching abroad! After I graduated I packed my bags and took off. I had done a study abroad program during university and I’d always wanted to find a way back to traveling -- once that travel bug bites you, it’s hard to shake. 

I’ve taught in Beijing, China, Doha, Qatar, where we met, and now in Riga, Latvia. I think that with each post, there are challenges and there are amazing, wonderful experiences awaiting you. I’ve loved and hated each post in different ways and a lot of that comes from my outlook as a person and my previous experiences.

In Beijing, I was not a big fan of the pollution and my self-perceived, chaos of their cultural norms (i.e. no lines, no taking turns, fighting your way off the subway, etc.). I, however, loved being immersed in their historical landmarks, being able to camp on unrestored portions of the Great Wall or paddling a boat on a lake in the Summer Palace.


In Doha, I did not enjoy the very noticeable difference between the “Haves and Have Nots” nor did I enjoy always having to be aware of how I was dressed. I always made sure I “dressed to respect”, but even that was dictated by those who were overly conservative versus those who were trying to be more open to the influx of expats flooding Qatar’s population. That said, as an American in the Middle East and breaking my promise to my mother not to move anywhere she perceived as ‘dangerous’, I’m glad to have spent time there educating myself about the region and meeting and befriending people who taught me so much about the culture.

In my most current post in Riga, Latvia, I miss the sunshine during winter and the warm, friendly, and receptive smiles during every season. I do, however, feel that it was easiest to make local friends here. I have had many traditional experiences such as sauna rituals and the Midsummer Festival, Jani. I also enjoy that Riga is a European city with all the perks and less of the hassle of tourists and ridiculous prices. I am enjoying it so far.


What is/are your favorite subject/subjects to teach?
I enjoy teaching science and writing. I like researching experiments and drawing out interesting hypotheses from the students. Their reactions to the actual conclusions are fantastic. When it comes to writing, children’s imaginations produce magic.

How many students do you work with during a week's time?

This year I am co-teaching the fifth grade classes. There are 31 lovely, enthusiastic, and capable students that I get to know, work with, and help grow.



What do you think the chief difference is between education in the United States and education at an international school?

Something that I really admire about the international education is the prevalence of learning languages at an early age. I wished that I had learned earlier so that language acquisition later on would come more naturally.

International schools host such a variety and diverse group of learners. How do you find the ability to engage them all? How does language affect this? How does behavior affect this?

In any school, domestic or international, my plan is always to collect as much data on my students as possible. The more I know and learn about them, the more I can address their individual needs. Language factors in quite a bit. I find that students who struggle to engage end up having behavior issues. However, I try and empathize as much as I can. I may act or feel the same way if I were thrown into a class in Mandarin, Arabic, or Latvian -- no clue.

Tell me about your travels. You tend to be on the road/in the air a lot! What is your favorite thing about traveling? What is your least favorite thing about traveling?

My favorite thing about traveling is when the culmination of experiences, people, food, and scenery cause me to smile at where I’ve gotten myself. I love being taken out of my comfort zone and exposed to cultures that help me to grow as a person, as cheesy as that may sound. My least favorite thing about traveling are lines -- anywhere and everywhere!


What are five things you would never leave home without when going on vacation? 

Passport, phone (mostly for photography), headphones, anti-bacterial, and chapstick.





What are your top 5 vacation destinations?

That I’ve Been: Siem Riep, Cambodia; The Maldives (any island!); Petra, Jordan; Palawan, Philippines; Iceland (all over)

On My List: Norway; Copenhagen, Denmark; Machu Picchu, Peru; Australia; Bali, Indonesia

How do you think traveling enhances your teaching?

A huge part of my teaching involves my appealing to students to be more open-minded and to be risk-takers. I would feel a little bit like a fraud if I didn’t do that myself. Traveling not only teaches me how to fall in love with so many beautiful cultures and locations, but teaches me so much about myself as a person and as an educator.


What skills in you shift by working with young people? Please explain.

I have taught kindergarteners all the way up to fifth graders. I’ve learned many things, but the skills that stand out to me the most are being more patient (when students ultimately need more time), being incredibly flexible (when things don’t go as I’ve planned), and being empathetic to their many emotions, situations, and cultures (when they are who they are and I want to completely understand what makes them tick).

Do you host any large events that feature your students' projects so that the larger community can see what the students are doing? What about school specific events?

Since I am currently teaching fifth grade at an International Baccalaureate school, my students are at the end of their Primary Years Program. All schools that have this curriculum have a unit of study called “Exhibition” in which students showcase their knowledge of the curriculum through a self-created unit about something they are passionate about. The students reach out to the community for support throughout their project and then present their findings at an event where we invite their collaboraters and families to see what they’ve learned and changed in the 6 weeks. We also have a Back to School BBQ, Parent-Teacher Organization nights, International Day, Talent Show, and many other school-wide events to connect the community to the school.

How does collaboration fit into your teaching methods? What about personal choice? And imagination?

I am happy to be working in a school that promotes a program that encourages student inquiry. Collaboration is important with colleagues, but also with the students. Students who are passionate about what they are learning are more engaged and motivated. We give them as much choice as possible and try to guide rather than lead them through our units of study, which are actually termed “Units of Inquiry” in the program. It is amazing where a child’s imagination can lead.


Do you bring in people from the community to work with your students? Why or why not?

We try and have people from the community come in to speak with our students as much as possible. The parents are often a great source for some of our units and we encourage them to share their experiences to be real life examples of sometimes intangible concepts for students. It helps them to build empathy and relate to whatever we are learning about.

What are your top five favorite supplies to use with students, and why?

1. A blank A3 paper: the possibilities are endless.
2. Sharpies or smelly markers: tools to boldly express their imaginations.
3. A plastic folder: to keep them and their teacher organized.
4. Lined paper journal: gives me a sneak peek into their good, their bad, and their ugly.
5. Glitter: because GLITTER!!!



What is your most favorite part of teaching?

My favorite parts--because I can’t choose--of being a teacher are (1) that everyday is always new, different, and beautiful/real in its own way, (2) working with honest and open minds, (3) the possiblity for affecting change for the good, and, to be honest, (4) vacation! It is well deserved and much needed.

Do you have a favorite lesson plan that you could share with us?

One of my favorites was one I did with my kindergartners to start our unit on Imagination. I put a box in the middle of the classroom and asked them to draw what the box was. This activated their imaginations and also showed them how very different, yet equally amazing they were and are.


What is your favorite song that you are listening to right now?

There aren't any particular songs per se, but artists... I am enjoying Walk Off the Earth's original songs and covers using super creative items as instruments and also The Head and the Heart! Saw them over the summer in London and fell even more in love. Any song that makes me sing, dance, and/or smile is what you will find me listening to.



What is the absolute best thing that happened to you in the past week?

It didn't "happen" to me, but I spontaneously jumped into a salon and made the time to get my hair cut (20 inches of it) to donate to the organization, Locks of Love. I have had cancer make appearances and lasting impressions on myself and people that I love and care about, so every little bit I can do and control in an otherwise helpless situation brings me an iota of comfort.


Lastly, if we asked you when you were five what you wanted to be when you grew up, what would you say?

I was actually asked this and I said lawyer. Haha.



Inspiring, yes? Do you remember your teachers in elementary, middle, or high school? A college professor, perhaps? If so, what made that person memorable to you? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.

Up next: my last week teaching in Chengdu, some thoughts on PhD's, a much-needed Thanksgiving Break, and an interview with one of my besties: Wes Holloway

No comments:

Post a Comment