31 July 2011

Shorty Swing My Way . . .


I was commissioned to make an "air dancer" for my dad to put next to his pond because herons keep eating all of his koi. And, he wanted something that would scare away the birds without being so loud and violent (Dede keeps shooting fireworks out the window at 6 in the morning).

So, I made Henry. Originally Henry was about 8 feet tall, but only inflated sideways . . . So, I cut him down to about 5 feet and he still only inflated upwards about half of the time. Without being able to find any help via the interwebs (shocker!!), I decided to go full on Edward Scissorhands. I inflated him and just started cutting until he was upright.

He's now much shorter, but leaving holes in him actually worked better. So, I cut the top and one of the appendages into slits. I felt the extra flappage would really get to the birds . . . Now the only question left: what else will it potentially scare away?





No comments:

Post a Comment