06 November 2012

Rock The Vote, Y'all.



Voting. It's a touchy subject, but an important one. Not one other time in my life have I felt more excited about voting than now. Sure, I've been voting since I turned 18. But it was only when I moved out of the country that I realized how truly great our nation is . . . All countries have their pros and cons. But there is a guiding passion that exists in the United States that does not exist anywhere else. I'm so proud and honored to be from a country that gets riled up about who they are voting for, whose election outcome could heavily influence the world: the ENTIRE world. It's fantastic to watch and exciting to be a part of!    


About a month ago, I sent in my completed ballot to the great state of Texas.  

I registered to vote overseas about 2 months ago and panicked for 3 weeks when I received nothing back in my email or mailbox--not even a, hey thanks for your application, your ballot's on the way! Nothing. So when it finally arrived, I jumped up and down like I had received a million dollar check in the mail . . . For starters, the ballot was crazy-huge! When I opened the envelope, the ballot itself was like 12 inches x 18 inches and the font was easily 20 point, maybe more. (Did they know that my eyesight was getting worse, perhaps?) I felt like I had shrunk in size and was holding the paper of a giant.  

I took it to school the next day to show everyone. Needless-to-say, no one was as excited about it as me. But my students asked me who I was voting for and I told them. If they were going to be my only audience to my excitement, then I would let them in all the way. They were happy with my choice, so no real debate was had.

I put my ballot next to my computer and just stared at it for days. I was not wavering on who I was voting for, so I'm not sure why it took me so long to actually fill it in. But, it did. Every time I would sit down at the computer I would pick it up, read the front and back of it, and put it back down again.  

Then, finally one day, I filled it in, walked down to the post office, and sent it off. Certified-style. 


Now I am not here to tell people who to vote for . . . I don't care who anyone votes for. (Well, I care a little bit.) I'm more interested in people voting, period. To me it's about exercising a right and standing up for something that truly matters to you. It's about being counted. It's about being a part of a community and setting an example. It's about follow-through and being heard.     

Long lines suck. They do. But just think: when you push that final button or marker in the last box on your ballot, you can go home, drink a cup of tea or a glass of wine and think to yourself, I made a difference. Now that's something to hang your hat on, it'll even make you sleep better at night.  

So get out there and ROCK THE VOTE! Stand up for what you believe in . . . You'll be glad you did.


2 comments: